A casino in Enid, Okay???.If an Indian tribe, worked through every one of the bureaucratic process with the Bureau of Indian Affairs and may build an online casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, it is likely you run into other people you know from Enid, partaking in the recreation supplied by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and so are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping in the stores, eating in the restaurants, and staying in the hotels within the area.
A brief history:
The ability to run bingo games was one of the many concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that seemed like a slot machine game. We have all seen small digital bingo card with the top corner with the display screen of the video slot. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you were still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact relating to the tribes along with the State of Oklahoma allowed using Vegas style slot machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and much better casinos were built and they are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino is only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries then placed in the trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid has no casino, could be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it absolutely was found, that before the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part in the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people following the Treaty of New Echota and also the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the spot was a hunting ground with the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us being within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive facets of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs for its citizens. In addition, a portion from the revenue is split with all the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes utilize revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related places of interest are built.
4. Jobs are set up.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent in the visitors to casinos were interested in also doing something other than gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions for example family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian people.
10. Casinos provide a magnet for outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local here resident who accustomed to travel outside from the area now stays within the region.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is definitely an accepted method for governments to boost funds. It is seen as an source of money that is easier to obtain because it is not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the following businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after a casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more regularly
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative areas of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge about how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependancy.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time allocated to useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour huge amount of money into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes are also influencing gambling and other policies affecting Native Americans by handing large sums to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there can be an increase inside the following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is known as an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles often, it results in tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so that it takes more gambling and stakes, to have the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling fires up the human brain the same manner cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If an online casino were to petition to find downtown Enid, an amount be your opinion? Do you think it will enhance our community or bring social problems we might not want to handle?